Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Shrine of the Aquila Progress

I decided to try something different for painting my Shrine of the Aquila. Since this project is so big, I decided to use a cheaper paint. So I went to a local Micheal's Craft store and picked up some Liquitex paint and some big paint brushes.


I have had some experience with this paint before, it is what the local game club uses to paint their terrain. At around $5.00 for a 4 oz. tube, it is a better value than GW paint ($3.70 for .4 oz.). However, I would only ever use this paint on terrain projects because it is very thick. Here is the progress I have made on my Shire so far.


I started by painting the building with a very dark mixture of the Black & Grey paint, then I began dry brushing several layers onto it, gradually lightening the paint mixture with each layer until I got it to the color I wanted. I am pleased with how this turned out. Now I just need to paint all the details, then weather it some.

For the Imperial Eagle, I painted it with GW Dwarf Bronze. My goal it to make it look like weathered copper and I want to add some verdigris. I am not entirely sure how I will do this at this yet. I have a little experience with this from when I was painting my Ogre Bulls' gut plates, but all I did there was wash them with green wash. With such a big area here, I think I will need something more. The web has several ways to do this, I am just not sure which method to use.

Also while I was at the craft store, I picked up some paint pens that were on sale for $5.00. At that price, I figured I would give them try. I plan to use them to add unit numbers to my Cadian Infantry units. If that works out, I have more plans for them.

2 comments:

Da Masta Cheef said...

Nice contrast between the aquila and the building proper!

Globalsmack said...

Looks awesome