Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Second Blight Drone & Beasts of Nurgle finished

It was a productive weekend this last weekend. I was able to get lots done. I completed my Second Blight Drone and my last two Beasts of Nurgle.




On this Blight Drone, I decided to paint the rust darker than I did on my first one and I also gave the armor plating a wash of Devlan Mud. Unfortunately, the wash undid my drybrushing highlights. I still think it turned out really good. I painted the eye lens green on this one instead of red to differentiate between the two. I really love this model and at some point I am going to need to get my third and final one.




I know I did not pick out any details on the beasts, but this is how I painted my previous five beasts. I envision them as shapeless mounds of dead, rotting flesh taking form into a beast. Not very special, but I like them. These two complete my full unit of seven beasts. I am glad to be done with these beast models, they are horrible to put together and the gaps that I had to fill with green stuff was just ridiculous. If GW ever releases new ones, I hope they are better than these.

As for my other projects, I am slowly making progress on my Plague Hulk. At some point I am going to need to stop 'Nurgle-ing' up the legs; it seems like I could continue doing this forever since it is very time consuming to do all these little details. However I do not feel I am done yet. I will need to be done soon before I loose the good weather for priming.

I have done more painting on Epidemius, but I am not happy with the way he is turning out. I think that is why I stopped painting him the first time. Not sure what to do here.

I have also got some painting on my Mega Dread, here is a WIP picture.



I need to get these projects finished as I am really itching to get to work on my new winged Daemon Prince and my Chaos Marine army.

8 comments:

oni said...

Looking good. I like the drone and am looking forward to seeing the Mega Dread.

Mike Howell said...

I love the corrosion effect. It's a great looking model, and thanks for showing the rear of it. I had never seen the biological part before!

The Beasts of Nurgle look good, but I have a hard time finding a place to focus on those models. There isn't an obvious face (and barely a front!) That said, the painting looks good, and certainly like what you said you intended. Nice work.

slipwing said...

Thanks guys.

The Corrosion effect was easy. In case you are wondering how I did it, I started by stipling the areas with Dark Flesh and then gave the area a light overbrush of Blazing Orange. The it was washed with Devlan Mud. It worked out really well.

Mr.Esty said...

I'm envious of your Nurgle forces; looking great.

Also, I totally agree about the Beat models; they're terrible designs.

Rogue Pom said...

Awesome model Slipwing. Your rust effect is great. Any tips on the shell and diseased flesh (ie colours used).

slipwing said...

@Mr.Esty: Thanks! Someday I need to setup the entire army for a picture. I had it on the table last night and it looked really nice.

@Rogue Pom: Thanks! The skin is painted the same as the rest of my Nurgle Daemons. Start with a black prime model and base coat it with Bubonic Brown. When dry, wash with thinned down Green Wash. When thoroughly dry, overbrush with Bubonic Brown. When dry, wash with thinned down Red Wash. Finally, when thoroughly dry, lightly overbrush with more Bubonic Brown followed by a light overbrush of Rotting Flesh.

The armor on the Blight Drone is just Dark Angels Green drybrushed with Camo Green to highlight the pits in it, and washed with Devlan Mud.

Rogue Pom said...

Cheers for the response mate - will keep this recipe handy.

Thanks.

slipwing said...

No Problem, Rogue Pom. I keep getting asked how I paint them, so I think I will do a tutorial post at some point.